How About Them Apples?
Guess what?! I went apple picking for the FIRST TIME ever, in my 30 and
something years life last month! And,I must say... now I see what the hoopla is all
about! I probably should back up a little and explain the reason why it has taken
me so long to do this simply delightful activity!
If you didn’t already know, I was born and raised in
Northern Florida and I have only been living in New England for aprox. 3 years
and 5 months ( so crazy to believe that) and like most true blooded southerners
and northern Floridians know…apple picking just isn’t really a thing. Growing
up I remember going blueberry, strawberry and pecan picking but never for apples.
Once I moved up to Vermont, it was all heard people talk
about and I told myself, that it was now going to be on my bucket list of things to
do while still living here. Especially, once started to stumble upon pictures online, where I saw of people and families apple picking, it made me crave
it even more.
...Steve kept saying how he wanted to take me apple picking in the Fall ever since I moved up here to be with him. But, it always seemed like we kept putting it off for one reason or another.
Finally!!...this year we decided to go. Even though, there are apple picking orchards in our town or just right outside of town. We wanted to find just the right one and make a little road trip out of it and drive just a little further north. We found two online that peaked our interest because both were under two hours away. One was a little closer but they were having an Autumn festival and we just weren't wanting to be around that sort of vibe. The other, was the one we decided on and it was just perfect! It is located on a gigantic acreage right by the mountains on a large classic Vermont Farm. Not only did it have Apples ( duh of course) but various types of apples and also included a cute little petting zoo as well (which was a story in itself).
It was such a beautiful day too, maybe still a little on the warm side since it was the first week of Fall. But, no complaints here because since we were there early in the season the trees were bountiful!
Fun Fact: We found out later that it was Johnny Apple Seeds birthday the day we went...what a pleasant coincidence! Johnny would be proud.
Steve and I found ourselves a couple of times without anyone around in the orchard and just the sound of the apples being plucked off the tree with just the sound of nature was very tranquil. However, probably the most memorable moment from the day was biting right into a nice crisp and juicy apple straight off the tree!!...Nothing like it!
I probably could go on and on about the day and I took way to many pictures to share on the blog.
But, all in all it was a great experience that I can't wait to do again.
Once we got home, we found ourselves with a refrigerator full of apples and said to each other..."What are we gonna do with all these damn apples!" (pardon my french) So I have been experimenting with all kinds of recipes with apples in them. I'm sure everyone is probably becoming a little burnt out on apples and apple recipes by now; but look for a few to come here on the blog in the next few days. Thank you Wellwood Orchards for such a lovely experience!
Thank you for taking the time to read and feel free to share with me any fond memories of apple picking you might have!
Finally!!...this year we decided to go. Even though, there are apple picking orchards in our town or just right outside of town. We wanted to find just the right one and make a little road trip out of it and drive just a little further north. We found two online that peaked our interest because both were under two hours away. One was a little closer but they were having an Autumn festival and we just weren't wanting to be around that sort of vibe. The other, was the one we decided on and it was just perfect! It is located on a gigantic acreage right by the mountains on a large classic Vermont Farm. Not only did it have Apples ( duh of course) but various types of apples and also included a cute little petting zoo as well (which was a story in itself).
![]() |
| They had about 10 different varieties of apples. This picture shows some of our top favorites. |
![]() |
| Goats and Fluffy Bunnies and Cockatoos, oh my! |
It was such a beautiful day too, maybe still a little on the warm side since it was the first week of Fall. But, no complaints here because since we were there early in the season the trees were bountiful!
Fun Fact: We found out later that it was Johnny Apple Seeds birthday the day we went...what a pleasant coincidence! Johnny would be proud.
Steve and I found ourselves a couple of times without anyone around in the orchard and just the sound of the apples being plucked off the tree with just the sound of nature was very tranquil. However, probably the most memorable moment from the day was biting right into a nice crisp and juicy apple straight off the tree!!...Nothing like it!
I probably could go on and on about the day and I took way to many pictures to share on the blog.
But, all in all it was a great experience that I can't wait to do again.
| *nom* *nom*chowing down on an apple in mid pic...attractive I know. |
Thank you for taking the time to read and feel free to share with me any fond memories of apple picking you might have!



Nice! Looking forward to the recipes.
ReplyDelete